Attwood & Garnett on Autism
"Professional, entertaining, energetic – masters of their subject!"
Date: 13th January 2020 - 14th January 2020 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Autism will be a clinical priority for the NHS for the next 10 years. Staff working in Education, Social Care, Support Services, Community and Criminal Justice Services as well as the NHS are recognising that we need to understand more about autism. We need to adjust our working practices and environments to work effectively with autistic people of all ages. Without appropriate adjustments, we risk continuing to exclude autistic people from the services we provide.
Day 1: Mental Health & Autism; incl Depression & Suicide Risk
Research has shown that Children, Young People and Adults on the autism spectrum are more likely to experience mental health problems. They often have difficulty with the understanding, expression and regulation of emotions, resulting in high levels of anxiety, stress, anger and/or depression and subsequent effects on family, teachers, other professionals, friends and peers. Our Speakers will explore common issues and what may help.
Day 2: How do Autistic people learn best – in education, at home, at work, in therapy, in general, to live a ‘good life’?
Thanks to extensive research into how autistic and non autistic brains function, we know that there are significant differences. It follows, therefore, that methods of learning, teaching and explaining which work well for non-autistic brains, will need adjustments in order to be effective for autistic people of all ages. To be successful in teaching autistic people at school, at work, at home, in everyday life, we need to properly understand natural autistic learning processes and how to adapt our methods to suit. What are the keys to helping autistic children, young people and adults learn how to live a good life as an autistic person rather than striving to be like the majority and feeling like a ‘faulty version of normal’?
This event will be of great interest, usefulness and importance to everyone working and living with autism.
Feedback from our last Attwood & Garnett Conference, January 2019:
• Third time I’ve attended an Autism Oxford event with Tony. Would suggest everyone working in the diagnostic services attend! Fabulous – entertaining, informative and highly relevant, Dr K RUSSELL, Community Paediatrician
• This has been the most informative and helpful conference I have attended in my professional career. My approach to individuals with ASD will be completely different thanks to the knowledge I have gained, Laura FERGUSON, Team Manager Mental Health Social Care Team, Hampshire
• Thank you SO much – changed my professional practise, Helen NUNN, Occupational Therapist
• An absolutely amazing day. A wonderful amount of knowledge gained and some great insights and strategies, Naomi AMOR, Parent
• A great day all round. Much food for thought and also practical ideas, Jules McKIM, Intensive Interactive Specialist Care Co-ordinator
• Kept my interest the whole time. No waffling!, Jo CARTER, Midwife
• As a parent of a son with ASC, I’m so grateful to this conference as I can take home strategies and tools to use, Cheryl FUNNELL, Parent
Booking rates for both days, including refreshments and lunch:
Professionals: £330 + vat; Group Discount: 20% off for groups of 5 or more professionals
People with ASC & Family Members: £275 + vat; Concessions: £225 + vat
Booking rates for one day, including refreshments and lunch:
Professionals: £215 + vat; Group Discount: 20% off for groups of 5 or more professionals
People with ASC & Family Members: £180 + vat; Concessions: £145 + vat
Booking rates are kept as low as possible, but the costs of hosting this event are exceedingly high, far in excess of our other events. Recognising that not everyone can pay the advertised rates, we have set aside a limited number of subsidised places for people on benefits – please email: email@example.com
INVOICES sent ONLY for PROFESSIONALS whose EMPLOYER is PAYING for them.
If PAYING FOR YOURSELF, please pay by card when booking to AVOID a £30 + vat admin fee.
PRICES ON BOOKING FORM INCLUDE 20% VAT
Location: The Kings Centre Osney Mead, Oxford, OX2 0ES
For directions see: www.kingscentre.co.uk/find-us
Limited parking £5 per day, free for disabled badge holders. Please book in advance to avoid disappointment - email firstname.lastname@example.org